Sunday, October 26, 2008

Last (Really) Long Run

Today I completed the last long run before I run the San Antonio Rock and Roll marathon on November 16. The task in front of me was a daunting 20 mile run. YIKES!!! Previously the most I had run was 17.6 miles and had horrible results (right knee pain and had to walk the last 3 miles or so)

Me run 20 miles. I rarely drive 20 miles let alone run that far. I mapped out the route that I would have to follow to accomplish this task and it will consist of one loop around the outer neighborhood, 2 loops around the major roads in the area, and a final lap on our road.

The run took me 3:48 to complete, which was at a pace of 11:25 min/mile. I was once again plagued with right knee pain right groin area and right hip pain. The pain didn't really start to rear its ugly head until around mile 12 or 13. This time I was able to continue the run, but had to take frequent walk breaks. Considering the issues with the pain and the walking I think that this was a good time. I hope that I will not have these issues on MARATHON DAY!!! Hopefully the rest that I get before the race will be enough of break for these issues to heal. For some reason I don't have the knee pain or the groin area pain until I go the long distances. These do not bother me when I run the regular 5 - 6 miles or even the occasional 8 mile run. Go Figure!!! I will have to include walk breaks throughout the marathon in my strategy to complete the race.

I returned home and went about my recovery routine of drinking lots of fluids, eating, stretching, an ice bath, and laying down with legs elevated.

Another accomplishment to put in the books. One more big one to go and it is only 3 weeks away!!!

May the Force be with you!!!

Chad

1 comment:

MarathonChris said...

Way to go on the 20 miler!!! Important thing to remember that those runs are as much about learning how to run through the pain and other issues as much as it is to run distance. Good job on the pace, in spite of your troubles!!!

San Antonio is going to rock!!! Maybe we could try to meet up at the expo on Saturday.

Rest up, and keep working those shorter distances over the next couple of weeks to help strengthen you ahead of the race.