Saturday, August 30, 2008

About Me….

My name is Chad. I have lived in San Antonio for about 2 years and I am training to participate in the San Antonio Marathon. This will be my first Marathon and I started running in June 2008. Prior to this I had done very little running. In fact before June I would have never considered running a Marathon. I am currently weighing around 195 lbs, but a year ago I weighed about 335 lbs.


Yes that is a 140 lbs less!!!!


My weight loss journey began in June 2007. It started when I began researching weight loss surgery. I was on a very dismal path. My weight had been increasing over the past several years; I was on blood pressure medicine and cholesterol medicine. I really felt like things were going the wrong way and before long I would have diabetes as well as a shortened lifespan.


While researching weight loss surgery and going through the process to get approved I began walking over my lunch break and I went on a liquid protein diet. From July to October I was able to lose 45 lbs on my own. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in October 2007 and have done very well. By June 2008 I was down to around 195 so I had almost lost 100 lbs since surgery.


I was still walking, but didn’t feel that I was getting much benefit from walks so I started jogging a little bit to try and increase my heart rate and get more out of my walks. In June 2008 I was reading the newspaper and came across an article about an upcoming 10k race on June 14. I though to myself “maybe I should try that I am walking over half of that distance at lunch”. Then I cam across it again a few days later and I knew that I was supposed to run that race.


Earlier in the year my friend Gil from Detroit had called and wanted me to participate with him in the San Antonio Rock and Roll marathon. I had agreed thinking that I would walk a 5k or 10k part of the marathon (I later found out there is only the ½ and full marathon).


After running my first 10k in June I was hooked and have been running regularly ever since.

No comments: