Saturday, August 30, 2008

It's Race Day!!!

Saturday August 23, 2008
Today is the Fleet Feet Sunrise 10K race. I am running this race with Steve, a friend of mine that I started working with when I moved to San Antonio. I was running late getting to the race as I had decided to drop some stuff off to Josh (my son) at Trinity and had to load up the van before I left. I met up with Steve at the race and picked up the T-shirt and race bib. They delayed the race 10 minutes so I was able to drop the shirt off at the car before the race. It had rained over night and the road was wet, which made for a slightly slippery road.

The race start was near the Alamo Heights pool and the course was very hilly. I do my long training run on a route that has several hills, but this course had a lot of hills on it. They just seemed to never end. I felt I did very well on the hills. I may have slowed down on them but I kept up a good pace. I am not sure if it was the hills or not, but it seemed like the mile markers were more than a mile apart.

All in all it was a good race. I was able to complete the 10k race in one hour and 1 second for a 9:39minutes/mile pace, which is a new personal record for me. Yeah ME!!! I was really surprised especially after my 10:06 pace on the Wednesday run and the added hills.

The only issues that I had were a couple of blisters that I have on my toes. The rest of my feet, legs, and knees felt good.

Hammer Nutrition was a sponsor for the race and they had a booth set up at the race area so I was able to try about 8 different flavors of their gels. I though they all tasted pretty good, but made my mouth feel thick like when you eat peanut butter. I am not sure that I would be able to use these in a race unless I had something that I could drink.

View my race results at the following website - http://www.iaapweb.com/results/08/sunrise.htm#35-39%20Male

No comments: