Tuesday, September 2, 2008

August 30th, 2008 - 12 miles - DONE

Well I have completed my longest run today. I did 12.5 miles on Aug 30th and I was able to get under the 12 min/mile pace. For the most part the run felt pretty good. My hips were a little bit sore after the run, but I think they felt better than when I did the 10 mile run.

This was the first run that I did with the new shoes. Overall, I think they worked pretty well. My only concern is that they feel a little too small in the area around the toes. I had some minor pain in my right big toe, but I am hoping that they will feel better as they get broken in.

I did not get any blister on my toes this run (I had been getting blisters on my long runs). I had stopped at Run Gear Run store earlier this week and they had recommended this body glide that you put on areas that you get blisters or chafing and it is supposed to help. So I applied the body glide to the toe that I had been getting the blisters and there were no issues. I also used it on my chest and did not have any problems with chafing or bleeding from the sensitive areas that are prone to such problems.

While I was at the running store I picked up a couple of packages of Cliff Shot Blocks. These are gel blocks that you eat while your running so that you replenish your carbohydrates while you run. These are similar to the gels that I sampled at the last race. I tried the Black Cherry flavored Shot Blocks on this run and I thought they were very good. I have Margarita flavored shot blocks to try on the next long run!!!

No comments: