Saturday, September 13, 2008

New Long Run Record - 14 Miles

Today was my long run. I ran 14 miles for the first time. It was tough and I did end up having to walk a little. Especially up the huge hill at the end. Ugh!!!

I added a new route to the run because I didn't really want to be that far from home on the second loop in case something went wrong or I needed water etc. The added route ended up being pretty tough. There were a couple of big hills on the way back and I was out of energy to make it up the hill running so ended up walking a little up the hills at the end.

What was amazing to me was that I continued to improve my pace. When I ran 12.5 miles I was able to keep a pace of 11.58. My pace for today's run was 11:40 min/mile. I figured that my pace would go down as I increased my mileage so I was very surprised. Since I had to do some walking I figured it would have been a bit lower than the other long runs.

Anyway the run went pretty good overall. I used the Margarita shot blocks for this run These were okay, but I didn't think they were that great. I will probably not use them if there is a better choice. I think I need to eat more energy bars or shot blocks on the longer runs, because I felt like I hit the wall on those hills.

I can cross this one of the list. I do 16 miles in two weeks. Can't wait!!!Not.

May the Force be with you!!

Chad

No comments: