Monday, September 1, 2008

New Shoes!!!

Since I started running in June I have been using a couple of pairs of Reebok athletic shoes that I got from Sam's Club. I started running in the one pair that I had been walking in and my left heel started to hurt a little. I switched to the newer pair of shoes that I kept at work for walking. I had been running in those for several weeks and had not had any real issues with this pair (my heal still hurt a little, but it got a little better when I changed shoes).

I knew that I needed to get a pair of true "running" shoes especially as I start to run longer distances. I started looking around at the different running shoes and trying them on, but nothing really "fit like a glove". I even went to a local running store that had a Mizuno truck there doing some advanced analysis that would tell me the type of shoe that I needed. Their shoes were okay, but I was not sure about the Mizuno brand. The analysis was helpful and I got to try on some more shoes both Mizuno and some other brands that the running store sells. I also got a free technical shirt and the store was doing a free BBQ. They were even serving free beer!!! I tried on the Brooks Trance 8 shoe and that felt about the best of the ones that I had tried so far.

I had a gift card for Footlocker that I had redeemed from the points that we had accumulated with the gas card so I looked on their website. I found that they had the Brooks Trance 7 (last year’s model) on sale. After much contemplation I decided to try them. I received the shoes about a week later and found that they had shipped me the 12D (medium width) instead of the regular 12. I went ahead and tried them on and they fit great!!! I was very pleased and eager to try them out. Lucky for me I had my weekly long run (this week is 12 miles) scheduled for the next morning!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found shoes you like. I hear a good pair of shoes is half the battle. Anyways, about the music you should try nike workout tunes. They recently teamed with apple to make special workout bits hosted by Lance Armstrong. They are designed for treadmilling and losing weight, not training for a marathon but who knows, you might like the challenge. As far as podcasts, I listen to FreeBeer and HotWings everyday obviously, that's thirty bucks a year for about three and a half hours of content per day. They carry my highest recommendation. I also obviously listen to Dave Ramsey's free daily podcast. All my other podcasts are cooking video podcasts so that really wouldn't help. I know you don't really like sports talk but I also podcast Pardon the Interruption and Around the Horn every day. I bet if you wanted there might be a Michigan State gameday type podcast. Lastly, I know you used to love audiobooks, you could always get back into those. Anyways, awesome blog. Hope you enjoyed your labor day.